DHS and SEIU Updates
Effective October 1st, 2021 legislative funding and the SEIU collective bargaining agreement (CBA) will implement the following changes which will affect the client budget.
- The wage floor will increase from $13.25 to $14.40. Any employees who are under $14.40, are required to automatically increase to $14.40 on October 1st.
- PTO will increase to 1 hour for every 30 hours worked. New employees are now able to opt-out of PTO upon hire. They no longer need to meet the 6 month or 600-hour requirement.
- Employees are eligible to receive the benefit of two Floating Holidays, per fiscal year (July 1st to June 30th). A Floating Holiday is defined as a day that is recognized as a holiday by the employee and will be actual hours worked. This should be a predetermined date that is agreed upon by the employee and managing party. The hours worked on the floating holiday will be paid at time and a half.
- Payroll taxes will be increased from 9.45% to 9.5% effective October 1st.
- Paid Parent of Minor / Paid Spouse rates have increased effective October 1st. Please see the current rate sheet under the client portal. Maximum Rate of Pay – Paid Parent of a Minor and Paid Spouse
- DHS has recently approved budget increases. Here is the link to review the published increases: https://www.dhs.state.mn.us/main/idcplg?IdcService=GET_DYNAMIC_CONVERSION&RevisionSelectionMethod=LatestReleased&dDocName=DHS-330171
- DHS will soon require all agencies that provide direct care services to make the transition to EVV (Electronic Visit Verification). We are awaiting further guidance from DHS on EVV. However, to be proactive, CDI is excited to be partnering with Cashé EVV software to capture electronic timesheets instead of using paper timesheets to clock in and out. This software can be used on a desktop computer, tablet, or smartphone.
- With EVV (Electronic Visit Verification) or electronic timesheet requirements coming soon from the State of Minnesota, CDI is undergoing a software and process redesign to better align with EVV and the intent of real-time billing to reduce instances of documentation errors and unintended fraud across timesheets, invoices, and reimbursements. Effective January 1st, 2022 CDI will be implementing a timely billing policy change.
40 Hour/Week Lift – UPDATE
With the Peacetime Emergency coming to an end on July 1st, 2021, we have been receiving guidance from Department of Human Services (DHS) regarding updates on Covid-19 modifications. Specifically, the modification allowing paid parent of minor or paid spouse to submit more than 40 hours per week (which required approval from Case Manager). As of August 30th, 2021, overtime will no longer be allowed for paid parent of a minor or paid spouse. You will be limited to 40 hours per week or the maximum number of hours you were previously approved at (at or below 40 hours per week).
Sick and Safe Leave
Sick and Safe Leave available in the following cities. For more information please see the websites below.
Why does my e-mail from CDI require a password to open?
You may notice that when you receive an email from CDI that it is coming encrypted or secure. The reason is that HIPAA requires us to do so when we are sending any protected information. This is for your protection. To view the email you will need to set up a password. This password is then used for CDI emails going forward. When we are communicating via email and there is no protected information included in the body or attachment, we will do our best to add DNE at the end of the subject line - telling our system it’s safe and to “Do Not Encrypt”. We understand that this is a hassle and we apologize. Thank you for understanding our desire and obligation to protect your personal information.
SEIU and DHS Negotiate New Union Contract
CDCS and CSG programs are governed by a union contract. Effective July 1, 2019, some key changes approved by the union include:
- A minimum wage floor increase for all direct care staff to $13.25
- PTO shall increase to accrue 1 hour of PTO for every 40 hours worked
A 2.37% budget increase will be added to budgets to cover these mandated increases. There is nothing you need to do at this time, CDI will be taking care of these changes internally. In the event that there are remaining funds after the mandated increase and you want to be involved in creating a budget revision please contact your FMS Coordinator. For more information, visit the SEIU website.
CDI Receives National Excellence in Financial Management Services Award
CDI was recognized nationally and voted best in the nation for the Excellence in Financial Management Services award as presented by Applied Self Direction. We were nominated for this award based on our exemplary leadership of FMS functions in the self-direction program. We have demonstrated an extraordinary commitment to service and quality that is recognized nationally by both our colleagues and the people we serve. Click here to view our nomination.
Excludable Income for Live-in Caregivers per IRS Notice 2014-7
If you are a caregiver for someone on a Medicaid waiver (i.e. CDCS, 245D Basic Respite and Personal Supports) and you live with the individual your wages may be specifically excludable from gross income under IRS Section 131, issued January 3, 2014. To take advantage of this new law you will need to contact your tax professional and re-submit your taxes for the prior years. Please act now to receive your benefits. Click on the link below for more information